I find it rather ironic (aka lazy of me) to not have posted any Sunday Comics in April, aka National Humor Month.
Being the last day of April and, conveniently falling on a Sunday, I have decided it’s better late than never. Plus for full disclosure, I must confess that I only learned it was National Humor Month this morning when I came across this article from the Huffington Post. I would like to point out–for the record–that their article was originally published on April 26th, so I don’t feel like too much of a slacker for waiting a few more days (also, we’re going to TOTALLY ignore that it was published in 2012…like I said: I only found it today)!
The article highlights a few reasons laughter is the best medicine–which to me ranks higher than apples and slightly lower than wine or coffee (although having both wine and/or coffee does help the laughter flow, so really they are all interrelated).
- Laughter Reduces Stress: When stressed, we produce a hormone called cortisol. Laughter can significantly reduce cortisol levels.
- Laughter Can Reduce Pain: Laughter causes us to produce endorphins, which are natural, pain-killing hormones.
- Laughter Strengthens the Immune System: A hearty laugh decreases stress hormones and increases production of T-cells, immune proteins and infection-fighting antibodies.
- Laughter Helps the Heart: When we laugh we increase blood flow and the function of blood vessels, which can help prevent cardiovascular problems.
- Laughter Relaxes the Whole Body: One good belly laugh can relieve physical tension and relax your muscles for up to 45 minutes.
- Laughter Helps You Recharge: By reducing stress levels and increasing your energy, laughter can help you focus and achieve more.
Without further ado, here’s a video that makes me laugh every. single. time. Probably because this is soooooo Addy–not the German Shepard, who haughtily does it perfect, but the Golden Retriever…because well, I think everyone with a Golden or a Labrador can relate.
Consider this your medicine for today–and bonus points if you’re drinking red wine and/or eating dark chocolate while laughing 😉
PS–In case you’re wondering about the Featured Image of Addy in the snow: it is completely not related, except that it is what I imagine Addy’s version of laughter looks like! 🙂 (for those of you who follow me on email, the picture is below)